You might have heard people not eating desserts say they can’t because they have sugar. However, that’s a very colloquial way of saying that they have blood sugar that is diabetes. Let’s have a basic understanding of what is diabetes and when does it happen?
It is a metabolic disease due to which the production of the hormone insulin is decreased, or not in proportion, or cannot make use of it effectively. What is the job of the insulin hormone? It converts sugar into energy and stores it in the cells. However, due to the causes mentioned above, the sugar remains intact and hence the disease.
It is true that previously people did not get many ideas regarding the ways of controlling diabetes. All they did was getting insulin injections and consume less or no sugar. However, over the years, people have realized that cutting down on sugar is not the solution. There are proper Diabetes Diets that can help keep the disease in check. What exactly is a diabetes diet? As the term suggests, it is designed to help people having it.
Types of Diabetes-
Diabetes is categorized into a few common types. The clinical name of diabetes is diabetes mellitus. Let’s have a brief look at these types.
- Type 1
It is a reactionary autoimmune disease that is the immune system destroys the pancreatic cells where the hormone is produced. Very few of the diabetic patients have type 1 diabetes.
- Type 2
It is the most common type of diabetes. The body does not produce enough insulin and, as a result, builds up sugar in the bloodstream.
- Gestational Diabetes
It happens during pregnancy when the placenta produces anti-insulin hormones.
It is like a knock on the door before type 2 diabetes. Here’s when you can effectively follow Diabetes diet and get rid of the disease. The sugar levels are high but not to the point of type 2.
There is a way out for every problem and trouble. All you need is dedication, diligence, and determination. Even though diabetes is a common disease, but if not treated with caution can cause serious organ damage.
Diabetes diet tips-
During diabetes, people tend to put on or lose weight to extremes. What is important here is to maintain an ideal weight. Having diabetes does not imply that you have to starve, keep craving sweets, or reduce carbohydrates. Keep one thing in mind that you have to maintain your weight and take all the required nutrients.
- Fast food and junk food are trouble even for people not having diabetes. So, people suffering from it need to replace them with whole-grain food items.
- Consume a balanced amount of fibres.
- Fruits and vegetables, especially the leafy ones, need to be included in your daily diet.
- You can have 4-5 light meals.
- Extremely sweet desserts and sweets need to be avoided because your blood already has a lot of sugar to manage.
- Get done with dinner as early as possible. Avoid eating immediately before going to bed.
- Avoid eating red meat; prefer seafood and chicken instead.
- You need to avoid salt as much as possible.
- Include potassium-rich food in your diet.
It is always better to take precautions than to cause damage. Yes, diabetes has the capability of damaging organs like the eyes, kidneys, nerves, etc. If not kept under check, you might have foot ulcer coding.